CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 4, 2011

DIY Project

We are getting ready to begin our 6th year in our new elementary school.  I have a set of cabinets in my room with about 24 inches of space between the top of the cabinets to the ceiling.  I have been trying to figure out a way to decorate the space, but haven't have any good ideas until . . . I saw an idea on Facebook from a company called Boredworks Signs.  I immediately called my husband to the computer and asked if he thought "we" could make one for my classroom.  He thought it would be no problem so my brain went into overdrive planning, sketching, and making a list of materials.  We went to Home Depot and picked up some of the supplies.  

Of course our 4-year-old daughter was not going to be happy unless she was helping with this project!  She loves helping Mommy and I know that in a few years she will be a great help to me at school!  Any ideas yet on what we're making?
We got the smallest can of paint you could buy, a few spongebrushes, a 4x4 landscape timber that had a bad spot on the end so it was discounted, a 1x8 board, and some sandpaper.  The extremely helpful Home Depot employee used my sketch on a restaurant napkin and cut the wood for me!  My husband was going to do the cutting, but God love him, it might not have gotten done until the 2012-2013 school year!  Lauren and I got busy painting the moment we got home with our supplies.

 
This is what we had after our first day of work.


Have you figured out what we're making? 

We made a trip to Michael's the next day to get scrapbook paper, Mod Podge, ribbon, and accents!!  I also used my fab fonts from Kevin and Amanda to print some letters on cardstock.  After lots of time working and waiting for Mod Podge to dry we now have the finished product.

Drum roll please . . . 

Now, I'm not going to lie to all you great bloggy friends, this project was fun and I love to use my creativity to make things for school.  I got to make the sign especially for my space, the size I wanted, the color, etc.  But, after thinking I could save money making it myself, probably not true.  Trying to find and coordinate the scrapbook paper, ribbon, accents - a little more difficult than it looks (especially when you are trying to shop with your husband and children :))  All in all, I am very pleased with the outcome, I had a good time making the sign, and I can't wait to see how it looks in my classroom (which is currently closed due to floor waxing - BOO).

I'll try to post pictures next week of how my sign looks in my classroom.  I hate to admit I get so caught up in blogstalking that I have neglected this little ol' blog. 


1 comments:

Busy Bees

It looks great. What a fun project. I love those DIY projects. My husband says that I always get him involved with a lot of these, too. Just found your blog and love the ideas!!
BusyBees

Post a Comment